CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Teasing, Torment and Bullies

As a parent, I think my children are perfect, not infallible, but really just perfect at filling the responsibilities of being children. My Noah performs his role as a kid brilliantly. He’s obedient, thoughtful, selfless, kind, funny, logical and all-boy in his tastes and preferences. My Sofia fulfills her Sofia-ness with verve. She’s impetuous, curious, strong-willed, self-reliant, delicate, feminine, and has me wrapped around her finger. Most parents I know feel the same way about their children; which is why parents out there can understand the pain in my heart at Noah’s recent experience with ‘bullies’.

At recess yesterday, Noah was playing by himself. He often plays with other kids and has good friends at school. But he also relishes acting out the incredibly expansive and exquisitely constructed scenarios in his imagination. I foster his imagination because I believe it’s the only place where he feels like he is completely understood and unquestionably accepted.

Some kids noticed Noah’s play and commenced mocking him. I am unclear about some the details because Noah’s description of what happened is more based on the emotions that resulted than the specific actions. What I have pieced together is that they teased him about playing alone. When he defended himself, they started teasing him about his speech.

My initial reaction was anger. I wanted to physically protect my son by lashing out at the perpetrators of emotional assault. My head filled with stern words that I hoped would cause emotional hurt similar to the pain they inflicted on my son. Then my thoughts turned to telling Noah to use his Karate if these children persist and tease him again. Noah’s wicked kicks and elbow strikes would quickly shut the mouths of the offenders.

Anger gave way to heartache. Bitter feelings of my experiences at being bullied exploded within me and threatened to influence my next actions and words. I remembered the how helpless I felt; how much anger and hate I held for my attackers. I recalled fighting the desire to punch my bullies in the face to make them stop the torment.

Noah’s experience doesn’t have to be the same as mine. Most kids get teased, tormented and bullied. I don’t know why I thought my son would be the exception. I re-committed to treating Noah with respect. I will handle his ego carefully. I am determined to guide him to a strong sense of self. My hope is that he owns being Noah with peace and confidence.

7 comments:

Nik English said...

Sadly I think that may be Noahs struggle. I wish none of us had to deal with that sometimes when we are young

WonderKitty said...

I agree with Nik. You will never be able to do it for him, so he will have to learn how to do it himself. It will suck, and he will probably get his feelings hurt a lot, but he will be stronger for it if you can teach him how to work through it. He's strong, he can do it.

Amelia said...

Kersten, you are an amazing father. I anticipate a lot of this with Oliver too, in the future. He is at an age where kids are starting to recognize that he is "different" from them, in the obvious ways, but where he is oblivious to it. I wish it could continue like that, but I know a time will come when he will understand, and my guess is that it will probably happen about the time that his peers decide that difference is unacceptable. And all we as parents can do is our best to foster a healthy, secure sense of self, as they go out into the big, mean world. My hat is off to you.

Laurie said...

Noah is such an amazing child. His imagination knows no bounds. He is so nice and his teacher says that most of the kids really like. I wish I could just wring the neck of those kids that teased him, if he could even tell me their names. We all have to live through the torment of other children. I just hope and pray that we can help him work through it so he can keep a healthy self image.

Anonymous said...

Bullies come in all sizes and all ages. This life will be like that as long as Satan has any control over us. Teach him to be loving and forgiving like Jesus. Teach him that he is of worth because he is a son of God.
It is so sad to think that we all can't be like those little ones that are kind and loving...Noah is one of those. Believe it or not, this will make him strong and become the kind of young man that will make the difference in this wicked world.
God bless you and keep up the good work! All my love to you and your sweet family.

CTuna's Cavern said...

As I saw each of my children come home crying and mad at the current bully ... female or male. You want to fix it. Soon you find you can't. You love them and explain that people who don't feel good about themselves become bullies. The teasers are always the kid who doesn't feel good about themselve. It doesn't make it any easier but as your child grows up you can tell him or her that and it helps. When they are older you can use my favorite and tell them to say, Thank you. I'll tell you about it sometime. Good parenting my son in law.

Mimi said...

Ah Ten I want to join you in hurting those kids. I know it wont do anything but Noah is buddy. He is so amazing and loving it makes me sad that those kids will never let him in because if they did they would have a true friend