CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Holiday Desperation

For many years I have endured the violation of the peaceful holiday season I once enjoyed in my youth. This is primarily due to getting married and fitting in the numerous, and sometimes superfluous, family parties that my wife’s family holds. My Christmas 10 years ago was as follows:

Christmas Eve:

4:00 pm – 8:00 pm Dinner and presents at my family’s house

Christmas Day:
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm Lunch at my aunt’s house

Peaceful and simple, right? Oh, how I cherish those holidays. Now, we find ourselves in a mad-rush, running from party to party, trying to see how many events we can go to; thereby avoiding the creation of inevitable offense against family members.

Here’s a recent sample of my Christmas:

Christmas Eve:
4:00 pm – 7:30 pm Dinner and open presents at my family’s house
8:00 pm – 12:00 am 2nd Dinner and open presents at Laurie’s parent’s house

Christmas Day:
7:30 am – 8:30 am Open ‘Santa’ gifts and stockings at Laurie’s parent’s house
9:00 am – 11:00 am Breakfast with Laurie’s Grandma
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm Lunch at my aunt’s house
3:30 pm – 5:00 pm Dinner at Laurie’s other Grandma’s house
5:00 pm – 8:00 pm Party at Laurie’s aunt’s house

With a schedule like that, how can you possibly remember where you are? The potential for calling a rarely-seen relative the wrong name is great. And how stupid do I feel when I thank the wrong person for the wrong gift?

This year, I put my foot down. I declared to my wife in the most authoritative and manly voice I could muster: “There will be no more running around in the bitter cold, wasting gas. No more losing our sanity as we cope with the shock of moving from one family environment to another.” I am serious. I would rather sit at home, enjoy being with my little family and spend some good time with each other. Besides, I want to start our own traditions in our house.

My sweet wife just gave me that maddeningly condescending smile. It’s a smile that is common in many women. They use it when they are trying not to scream at their spouse or children in protest of what they have just been told. I am sure that In the back of her mind, she was probably saying something like: ‘I own you, slave. Your requests are in vain. You will never have any rest on holidays as long as my family lives.’

Does anybody know of any good jobs on the East Coast, or Europe perhaps?

6 comments:

Laurie said...

I know you love me an that is how we make it through. It is crazy trying to go to my dad, mom's, your parents, aunts etc. Luckily we cut out grandparents this year. And just for the word. I have never thought or even insinuated that you are my slave anywhere else but in the sack

The Internet Dark Ages said...

It sounds like you need to read the book Crunchy Cons find link on this site by Rod Dreher.

He says that you have to simplify. Set your own traditions and ignore the rest in a round about way... Or simply take your tent/cardboard box to Fort Lauderdale and stay by some friends.

CTuna's Cavern said...

Just remember Father Fish is flexible. That's why we have the 23rd, 24th or 25th as your options.

Carrie said...

I say move away, far far away. I think you had the right idea.

Mimi said...

I am with you there. Moving sounds really nice right now to get away from the family drama.That way when you come into town they are just happy they get any of your time

Dave S. S. said...

Put some soda crackers in your mouth and pretend you are having a seizure, while foaming soda crackers out of your mouth.